Wednesday, January 20, 2016

PAT'S FRESH BAKED BREAD

I don't know about you, but for me I can't think of anything that smells as good as baking bread!  My house smells amazing right now!  Just popped these beauties out of the oven!

The recipe is very easy.  It only requires 1 Tbsp. or 1 packet of yeast, NO eggs, etc. so it's easy on the budget.  I prefer using bread flour but I've gotten good results from all purpose flour too.  I use a stand mixer but if you don't have one don't worry!  It's a little more time consuming but still will turn out fine.  My family goes crazy for this stuff... and then I made them some honey butter!  OH MY!!!  Now they expect this all the time!

Here's my bread recipe:

Pat's Cheap & Easy Bread Recipe

2-1/2 c. warm water
1/4 c. sugar or honey
1 Tbsp. yeast (or 1 packet)
1/4 c. oil
2 tsp. salt
6-7 c. all purpose or bread flour

Dissolve the sugar and yeast in the warm water and allow to rest 10 minutes until it's foaming.
In a mixing bowl combine salt and 3-4 c. of flour.  Add the oil and the yeast mixture to the flour and mix well.  (If using a stand mixer change to the dough hook now) Gradually add additional flour until a nice ball of dough forms and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.  Remove dough to a lightly greased surface and knead lightly and form into a ball.  Place the dough into a large greased bowl and turn dough so top has grease on it.  Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise until double.  Put dough out on lightly oiled surface and "punch down", knead lightly a minute or so then divide dough in half.  Shape each half into a loaf and put in lightly oiled loaf pans.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap and allow to rise double.  Preheat oven to 375F and bake on center rack for about 30 minutes.  If desired lightly butter the tops of the loaves and turn out of the pans to cool on a wire rack.  The bread will keep fine on the counter for a day or two but for longer storage refrigerate it.  Makes 2 loaves.

1 comment: